To teach a dog to sit, follow these steps:
- Hold a treat close to the dog's nose to get their attention.
- Slowly move the treat up and over their head towards their tail.
- As the dog's head follows the treat, their rear end should lower towards the ground.
- Once the dog's hind end touches the ground, immediately say "Sit" and give them the treat.
- Repeat this process several times a day until the dog starts to sit as soon as you say "Sit."
- Gradually reduce the amount of treat and reward the dog with praise and petting instead.
- Once the dog has learned to sit on command, practice in different environments and with distractions to reinforce the behavior.
Note: Consistency is key when training a dog, so be sure to use the same word (e.g., "Sit") every time you want the dog to perform the behavior.